Ms. CC, our school counselor, has created a list of resources to help Wright's families. Please visit our Resources Page for more information.
In the 2018-2019 school year, John B. Wright adopted AVID or Achievement Via Individual Determination philosophy to help encourage our students to reach towards our school mission and college. Wright is the only elementary school in TUSD to use AVID in our classroom to:
- Teach students self-advocacy skills.
- Place students in a rigorous curriculum and give them needed support to achieve.
- Provide a team of students for positive peer identification.
- Provide career planning that helps students decide what path to take in college.
Wright continue's to:
- Focus on science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) and incorporating STEM across the curriculum--into social studies, language arts, music and even creative play.
- Integrate Opening Minds through the Arts (OMA) Gold School, which means classes uses an art-integrated curriculum at each grade level to advance learning in all areas. This approach is based on extensive study indicating that children with frequent access to the arts also have increased math and reading scores. Our upper grade levels may also choose from band or orchestra.
- Utilizes before/after-school tutoring under the 21st Century Grant.
- Support intervention programs and individual research with two stand alone computer labs for student use.
- Incorporate cultural diversity and relevance in our Arabic language classes for K-5.
- Support young learners in our 5-Star rated PACE program.
Wright's students are always encouraged to be curious and explore their ideas. Students aspire to learn in a positive, supportive environment filled with hands-on activities. Students are taught to think and problem-solve, to communicate, function sensitively and successfully in a complex, changing and culturally diverse world. Our mission at Wright, in partnership with parents and Wright's community, is to assure each student receives an engaging, rigorous, and comprehensive education.